Saturday, January 16, 2010

Our Vacation Drama

It wouldn't be a Shepherd vacation without some drama now would it? LOL
Matt took the boys sledding up Hobble Creek canyon yesterday for the start of what we hoped would be a fun and enjoyable beginning to the vacation. (Brittany and I weren't really in the mood for sledding so, we stayed behind to do some crafting.)
The day began with them sledding for a good twenty minutes or so and then the sled racing began. Dillan jumped the gun a little bit but Matt and Cory followed in quick pursuit. Everything was going well until closer to the bottom when Dillan started to go up a small berm. Cory was coming up fast and couldn't quite make it around him so instead of just plowing into him he tried to grab Dillan off of his sled and roll to try and prevent injuries. It didn't work quite that well. Somehow in the process of all of this Dillan's foot got caught and twisted completely backwards. Dillan said he could see his heal in front of him where toes should be. YUCK! Dillan only cried for a couple of minutes and then proceeded to chew Cory out (poor Cory). His telling off went something like this.. "Cory! You broke my leg! You jerk! Why did you do that? etc." Matt seeing that Dillan wasn't getting up, went to check on him and could tell immediately that something was wrong so, they packed up and began the long trek to Alpine Pediatrics in Pleasant Grove. I got a call and knew something was wrong because Matt doesn't usually call me for much when they are out playing. I called my dad to ask if he would bring oil and meet them all at the doctors office so they could give him a blessing and then we left to meet them too. Britt and I got to the pediatricians office just as they began to cut off his snow pants and his regular pants. Dillan is one TOUGH kid! He only whimpered a little tiny bit but the tears were running down his face like crazy. I admit quite a few fell down my own. Anywho, the doctor got it splinted and sent us to American Fork hospital for x-rays. Dillan did really well there too! Here he is waiting to go in for x-rays... still smiling for me!
Even when we had to remove the splint for the x-rays he just whimpered a tiny bit again! It turns out, he broke BOTH bones in his left leg. The smaller of the two shattered a little at the top. The bigger one just kinda broke in two. (Sorry I am not a speciallist in the bone field so I can't remember what they are called. I do know that all the nurses and doctors were calling it a "TIBFIB" fracture.)

Once the radiologist had read the films, we got a call from our pediatrician, who had called an orthopedic surgeon and were told to go on over to the ER and get checked in because he would have to be the one to set the bones. SO, we continued our adventure in the ER. The staff was AMAZING and absolutely the BEST! So caring and careful and explained everything very carefully to him (and Matt, myself and Grandpa Rock). They started an IV and then waited for the Dr. Rickie to arrive. When he arrived they got the procedure underway. He started whimpering and trying to move during one part (that broke my heart and I cried right along with him, which also made Grandpa cry. hehe) but he doesn't remember anything at all. THANK GOODNESS! After it was all said and done we were FINALLY, after almost 4 hours, able to head to Grandma Rock's for a wonderful bowl of soup that Aunt Danica made for us all. It was a nice way to end a horrible day! :) He is quite the trooper and hasn't complained much at all! Last night, he even got up and to the bathroom all by himself! I was so proud!!

I tried and tried to upload pictures individually throughout my post, but couldn't get it to work for me so I added a slide at the end with all the images.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh my goodness! How sad! :( Seriously, he IS a tough kid! I am sure I would be screaming! I have never broken a bone, (knock on wood) I hope I don't and I hope I don't manage to do two at a time. Wowsers. I bet with mama taking care of him (as much as he'll let her) he will heal up good as new!

Monica said...

Poor kid! I read this today and asked Gavin if he heard about it and he's like, "Yeah." I don't know why he doesn't tell me these things haha but I'm glad you blog about them so I can stay informed a little bit! I'm glad to hear everything was taken care of quickly. Let us know if you need anything! I would be more than willing to make Dillan a special batch of cookies if he needs some cheering up. :)

Matt N Camie Family said...

Carrie- I've never broken a bone either... well just my tailbone but I don't really know if that counts! hehe Anywho, I hope he will be heal up good as new too!! Thanks for your comments!
Monica- GAAA that brother of mine... Shame on him.. I will just have to start calling you me thinks! Glad you checked the blog too! :) Anytime you are offering cookies we are totally taking you up on that! You are the cookie QUEEN!!! :) Thanks for your comments too!! :)

Heather said...

What a tramatic experience! I remember when Gage broke his arm (not nearly as bad though) and they had to set it. They gave him a sedative too. He cried through it a little but doesn't remember either. What a blessing huh? I love living in the latter days! But it was so hard to stand by and watch as a Mom!! We went to AF hosp. too and had a great experience as well. Hope he starts to feel better!

Dennis and Patty said...

That must have been so scary. Too bad for your vacation! He is a pretty tough guy.

The Shepherd family said...

Oh boy don't you guys have all the luck! I really hope he gets better soon!!!